Christian missionaries belonging to the Church Missionary Society of England founded Gayaza High School in January 1905 with four students. By July 1905, the number of students had grown to 43. The land was donated to the Church then by Kabaka Chwa II.
In the beginning, the curriculum included agriculture, handiwork, child-care and needlework, as well as scripture, reading, writing, arithmetic and geography. Academic excellence and social excellence are traditions in Gayaza High School. It is therefore not surprising that the school is one of the most sought after high schools in Uganda. In 2003, Gayaza High School was selected as the 60th best high school in Africa.